Sunday 9 January 2011

How Goes The Referendum?

My thoughts and prayers are with our neighbours to the north today.

I hope that their wishes will be respected.

I hope that the secession works out for them.

I hope they make a better fist of self-determination than we have.

I hope they'll hold Salva Kiir and their leadership to a higher standard than most of us in Sub-Saharan Africa have done with our leaders.

I hope that they have the good sense to learn from us and the courage to tell those who might be tempted to play off one tribe against the other, for their own selfish interests, to bugger off.

Having said that, I think that after a 22-year civil war, the South Sudanese people have certainly earned the right to fuck up their own country as most of us have ours.

Seriously though, I wish our brothers and sisters in South Sudan all the very best. God knows that after all the lives lost and all the misery they've had to endure, they deserve nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment